CyberCity 2000 - Optimization In A Nutshell
Guide To Search Engine Optimization In A Nutshell
by Arnab Ghosh
|SEO is a way of analyzing your site and modifying it
to allow Search Engines to read and index it more easily. SEO is all about maintaining and
building websites that get ranked highly on the major Search Engines. Whether your site is
profitable or not with PPC advertising, Search Engine rankings are an important factor to
consider in improving profitability. The higher you are on a variety of Search Engines,
the better off your profitability. When used properly in combination with other basic
Search Engine tactics, these tips can help to dramatically improve your placement with the
Search Engines and increase the traffic to your web site.
1. Use Keyword File Names : By naming your html file relevant to your keywords, you can gain a slight advantage. This is a relatively minor aid so don't go overboard with it.
2. Avoid Robotic - Automated Submission : When submitting your web page to one of the top 8 search engines, try to post your page manually rather than using any automated software or sites that post for you to get into the prime search engines. Many people believe that over 70% of your hits will come from Google and Yahoo! It's probably worth spending a considerable amount of time trying to get a good ranking from theses search engines. (Actually Yahoo is more like a directory than a search engine and requires that you read their help pages about their listing method)
3. Use Keywords In Page Title : Many search engines will look to see what words you have used in your page title tag. It is VERY important that you include the keywords you want to be found under in this title tag. Practical and live example is our site and our page urls.
4. Get Your Pages Linked From Other Sites : Some Search Engines will increase your relevancy if your site is linked to from other sites. Try to establish as many links as possible from other locations before you submit your web page for placement. But please keep it in your mind that links to your site should be coming from similar type of website to yours. Link from an entertainment site to a webdesign company's site and vice - versa - doesn't help both of the two sites. Make sure that you don't have a lot of irrelevant links on your site. The more closely the links on your site are related to your site, the better the chances of being ranked well in search engines. Please stay away from sites which are made only for link exchange.
5. Avoid Java & Frames & Flash: Search Engine robots face difficulties with pages containing Java and frames (not the Java Script which is ignored by search engines) and flash elements. In order to establish a high relevancy and therefore a high rank do not use these methods in the pages you submit to the search engines.
6. The First 250 Words : Search Engine robots scrutinize the first 250 word of text in your page for relevancy and keyword count. You must use your keywords in the appropriate proportions in this part of your page. Some say a 10% - 40% keyword count in this section of text is ideal. Always start this text with the page title you used in the title tag. Avoid keyword repetition (i.e. repeating keywords one after the other).
7. Don't Use Meta Refresh Command : This command is used to automatically transfer a page to another without requiring reader input.
8. Don't Use Text That Is The Same Color As The Background : Search Engines look for text that is the same color as the background which is being used to increase the keyword count without the reader seeing the text. This has become a definite no no and you may be penalized for such tactics.
9. Use Links Containing Keywords : One way to increase a keyword count is to use a series of working or non-working links containing a description and link that incorporate your keywords. This also has the advantage of providing links to other web sites from your page which the Search Engines also look for.
10. Use Image Alt Tag : Every image allows you to include a text description of that image in the alt tag. Use these tags to incorporate keywords or phrases to increase your keyword count. Search engines do consider alt tags in their relevancy rankings.
11. Use Link Title Tag : Every link allows you to include a text description of that link in the title tag. Use these tags to incorporate keywords or phrases to increase your keyword count. Search engines do consider alt tags in their relevancy rankings. We maintain both of the rules pointed in guidelines no. 10 and 11.
12. Use Plural Keywords : Try to use your keywords in the plural form. Such as, CLOCKS instead of CLOCK. A user search on the keyword CLOCK will find both CLOCK and CLOCKS but a user search for CLOCKS will usually not turn up pages using the keyword CLOCK in singular form.
13. Short Meta Tag Description : Most search engines will truncate your description if it is too long deleting possible key points you are trying to convey. Keep your meta description to 25 words or less to avoid having posted an incomplete message to readers.
14. Keep Meta Tag Keyword Lists Under 1000 Characters : Keep your meta tag keyword list to under 1000 characters. Anything more and you may have your relevancy rank penalized by search engines. Additionally, do not repeat any one keyword in the keyword meta tag more than three times.
15. Try Different Description & Categories : When you submit your site to different link directories, take care that you are not writing the same description of your site in all cases. Also try to submit your site in different categories in different link directories. If Google & other major Search Engines find same text ( Assume that you have submitted your site under the category - 'Webdesign Company Asia' with description saying 'This is a media design company' in different directories. It is like that you have gone through an automated submission software ), your site may be penalized and can be thrown away from their database forever.
16. Different Description & Keywords For Different Pages : Don't use same keywords and description for all of your pages. Your contact us page's keywords and description shouldn't be same as your homepage.
17. No Broken Link & No Broken Image & No Under Construction Page : Never have broken images or links. Search Engines hate these things. If your site has broken links, don't even start submission. Google won't care about you if you don't care about your visitors.
18. Have Unique Content : Always have unique contents. You can put content from Open Directory but that doesn't uplift your rank. Again it may help you if the site from where you are lending articles or texts - is not counted by any search engines. But the probability of such happenings is 00.000000001%. Note that Search Engines penalize sites without own content.
19. Update Your Site : You need to periodically update the content of your website, even if it's only a slight change. Add 2-3 pages in 1-3 days. Search Engines love growing sites. Spiders give better rankings to sites that update content often.
20. Use Sitemap : Prepare your sitemap and submit it to Google. It is better if you prepare it in XML. An XML sitemap is a search engine friendly sitemap of your site. This isn't written for your visitors though. It's written for the Search Engines so that they can find all of the pages on your website. Submit your sitemap to Google at https://www.google.com/webmasters/sitemaps/login.
21. ROR Generator & Robots Text Generator : ROR is similar to a robots.txt file in that it gives information about your site. The difference is that an ROR file is in XML format. You can use this generator to create an ROR file for your site, and then paste a button to the main page of your website. When the Search Engines spider your site, they'll spider this file and have a better description of what your site is about. Also create a robots.txt file because this will tell the search engines what not to spider on your site.
22. Use of Dynamic Pages : Many websites use Content Management System (CMS) to generate their webpages. As generation of dynamic pages are easier for website development, CMS generally use dynamic pages. However, Search Engines have difficulties to spider and understand them. To solve the problem, you can consider using Mod Rewrite in case you use Apache server or finding a CMS that can generate static HTML pages.
23. DMOZ Plays : Manually register your site with DMOZ, also known as the Open Directory Project.The Open Directory Project is the largest, most comprehensive human-edited directory of the Web. It is constructed and maintained by a vast, global community of volunteer editors and feeds other leading web directories.
24. Yahoo Listing : Purchase a listing with Yahoo! Directory Submit.Yahoo! like Google provides many search products.However, Directory Submit is essential for any business on the web. For a fee of $299 Yahoo! will include your web site in their directory that fuels websites like Yahoo!, MSN and AltaVista.
25. Site Maturity : Ranking mostly depends upon the maturity of the site. Older sites will have better rankings and will have more indexed pages.
26. Keep Patience : Once you follow these suggestions, allow search engines time to re-index your site.In the Internet age, we're looking for instant results.However, it does take some time for all of your search engine optimization techniques to take hold.
About the Author
The author Arnab Ghosh is a young freelance designer who started the Official Mod Studio India in 2005 June. Now he is the Administrator of Mod Studio India and plays various roles of a designer and developer. He works as a SE Optimizer, Quality Controller and Designer. Visit http://www.modstudioindia.com if you want to find out a real webdesign company. You may get the free resource which you are looking for.